Thursday, November 1, 2007

My first attempt at knitting

So my computer is back up and running, with a new, twice as big hard drive, and the new Leopard OS. It's fun to play with!

Monday, before I came home to a zombified computer, I drove down the beautiful Kalanianiole Highway to Hawaii Kai to meet my new friend Opal, from the Aloha Knitters group, at Starbucks. She taught me how to knit, and had me pick up some Sugar 'n Cream cotton and #8 circular needles on my way there. It was a very good day and we had a great time talking. But we did get a lot done knitting-wise. I think I completed two or so rows of knit stitch before we parted. Then I worked on it at home some, so this is how far I've gotten since:

My first knitting attempt

Opal taught me the Continental method, which is what she uses. I think it's similar to holding the hook for crocheting, or at least it feels that way. But I did one row of English style, just to see what it was like. I didn't mind it, but my stitches were a lot tighter. My crochet stitches tend to be larger than gauges say they will be, so I think Continental will keep me consistent across my "yarning."

Here's a close-up of my needles and stitches:

Close-up of knitting

I wondered if perhaps I should have picked a solid yarn, as I do suggest that for beginning crocheters, but because the colors vary here, I've been able to figure out which loops belong to which rows. It's still confusing at times, but so far the variegated yarn is working out for me. Tonight perhaps I'll get someone in the group to show me purling, as Opal is sick with a cold. She wrote about teaching me to knit on her blog, so I had to post this ASAP.

5 comments:

debbie said...

nice stitching! i've been wanting to try the continental style, but after knitting the english style, i think i'm set in my ways....what are you making for your first knit project? hope patrice and i will see you at the meet-up next week.

Bee said...

I hope I'll be there next week, too. I started to drive there tonight, but the torrential rains kept me from driving across the Pali. I'll keep knitting and crocheting, though!

Opal said...

I hope you got someone to teach you how to purl! Your stitches look absolutely fabulous. Keep up the good work!

Acornbud said...

Ooh, cool. You are making great progress. See you next week, I hope

Jamie said...

WOo! I'm excited that you have picked up knitting. Your first attempt looks awesome! You may be a natural. Now that I know this, I have even MORE stuff I can send to you...gotta keep the crafty addiction alive. :)